My Stash: The Legend of The Greater Antilles

>> 17 July 2008

This is a high school composition of 9 years ago we were asked to make a story using the plot of Hashnu, the woodcutter. I lost the second page of the story but I'll try to remember the continuation of it.



The Legend of The Greater Antilles

A long time ago, during the time of the Portuguese colonies in the West Indies there lived Hashnu, a poor woodcutter. He has dark skin and curly hair and came from West Africa brought by the conquistadores to be sold for slavery while his parents were taken to Tobago to work in the indigo plantation. One day, while walking along the dusty streets of Sao Tolome, he met the beautiful goddess of the sea, Yemanja disguised as an old beggar. He gave the woman a drink from his gourd jug. In exchange, the woman gave him the power of seven wishes. It will be granted when he shouts, "Antilles!" With a sound of a thunder, he woke up on the shores just outside his hut. He went to the coconut groves and felt the wind was free, "Ah me!" he shouted. "Antilles! I wish I were the wind!" so he became the wind.

He was blown to the sea straight to Trinidad and bumped into the sail of a galleon ship. He became jealous again and shouted, "Antilles! I wish I were the ship." He became a ship but the waves were scooping him up and down. He became jealous again and shouted, "Antilles! I wish I were the waves!" but when he reached Tobago he was quickly absorbed by the sand. Then he realized that he was vulnerable and wanted to become Hashnu again. He shouted Antilles and went back to his old self. He missed his parents and wanted them back. He shouted "Antilles!" and asked for his parents and it was granted in a wink. Yet Hashnu felt lonely he heard the beauty of Ashimma who tends the corals and the sea creatures of the sea. He shouted, "Antilles! I want Ashimma for my wife!" Suddenly, the Caribbean Sea roared, Yemanja and her daughter came out of the whirlpool and the sea creatures paid respect to them. Yemanja calmed the seas and said, "Because of your kindness, humility and respect to your parents, I offer you my daughter and I give you four islands for you and your descendants."

Hashnu and his parents' descendants flourished over the islands and later named each of them: Coabana (modern-day Cuba) the largest of the islands, Xaymaca (Jamaica), Quizqueia (Hispaniola) and Boriqua (Puerto Rico). Yemanja continued to bless the islands that remind her kindness and beauty. The islands were blessed for many years but the people forgot to thank the sea goddess. Yemanja became furious and sent invaders to the islands and were colonized by them. They paid tribute back to Yemanja and felt sorry for their arrogance. She was merciful and granted their freedom after centuries of bondage and slavery.

0 comments:

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Back to TOP