My Family Coat of Arms

>> 04 October 2008





















What's in a name? That's the question that compelled me to look for the meaning of my surname 8 years ago and at last I found not only the meaning but also the family coat of arms. My surname means 'An Orchard of Weeping Willows' or 'Thickets of Willows' salce or saucé means willow tree. The only thing that I can't explain are the 5 leaves on a field of gold. Hmm hope a heraldry expert can help me with this. Another historical account says that the family originally lived near willow trees. The distinguished name Salcedo is derived from the Latin word Salix, which means willow tree. I guess I'm thinking of a willow tree in our backyard I might take a look at the nearest garden supply if they got any. :P

Salcedo Coat of Arms Blazon (in Old French I guess):

D'argent a un arbre arrache de sinople, charge d'un ecusson d'or, surcharge de cinq panelles de sinople, les tiges en haut

Literal Meaning:

Silver has a tree tear off from vert, charge with an ecusson of gold, overload five panelles of vert, stems above

3 comments:

Anonymous October 4, 2008 at 7:09 AM  

interesting! can you find like how many generation and people around the world with this name?

David October 4, 2008 at 7:33 AM  

Hmm it's a Spanish name so it's distributed among the Caribbean, Latin and Central America, Philippines and the US. I'm not sure if we're all related. Hehe

Anonymous September 2, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

I was looking for my family coat of arms (I am a Salcedo too). Very nice!

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Back to TOP